1. That the League be called “The Thornbury & District Skittles League”.
2. That the League shall consist of five Divisions with sixteen teams in each Division. Division 1 & 2 shall play their games on a Front-Pin First basis and all other Divisions shall play All-In.
3. That there shall be three teams promoted and three teams relegated from each Division. In the event of any team(s) resigning from the League, the League Committee shall have the right to adjust the Divisions accordingly.
4. That the Officers of the League shall consist of a President, Chairperson, Vice- Chairperson, Treasurer, General Secretary, Fixtures Secretary, Pairs Secretary, Web Manager and a committee of eight all of whom must be registered members of the League. League Committee members may be voted into office en bloc.
5. That each team shall pay an annual fee of £45-00 to be paid at a pre-season meeting. This includes all Match and Cup fees, excluding the Pairs Competition. The fund shall be administered by the League’s Committee.
6. All League teams shall pay monies due to the League by cheque with the name of the Team and Division written clearly on the back. No cash will be accepted.
7. That all monies due to the League be paid to the Treasurer who will keep records thereof.
8. The General Secretary shall keep full records of all business conducted by the League’s Committee.
9. That all disputes affecting any teams or registered members shall be submitted in writing or by email for consideration by the League’s Committee, whose decision shall be final. A personal hearing may be requested.
10. That the League’s Committee may out of League funds, provide any cups, trophies or prizes, to be awarded to the winners of the League Championship and such tournaments and competitions that may occur. All such cups and trophies shall be held by the winners for one League season and be returned to the League at a venue and date to be decided by the League’s Committee.
Winners of all cups and trophies are totally responsible for any loss or damage.
11. All meetings, unless otherwise arranged, will be held at the League’s Headquarters (Black Horse, Thornbury).
12. That the Annual General Meeting shall be held on a date at the League Committee’s discretion. For non-attendance or non-representation of a Team Secretary or appointed ‘delegate’ a £10 fine and a 2 point deduction will be imposed even if apologies for non-attendance have been given.
13. That every Team Secretary or appointed ‘delegate’ shall represent their team at all other League meetings. For non-attendance or non-representation a £5 fine will be imposed.
14. That each Skittles Team wishing to be a member of the League, shall give notice in writing to the Fixture Secretary (forms will be provided). These forms MUST be in the Fixture Secretary’s hands by the 30th April or a £5 fine will be imposed. Teams who do not return their Registration Forms by this date may be replaced by new teams where applicable, at the League Committee’s discretion. Teams will have the right to appeal.
15. The gender, forename and surnames of all team members must be registered on the League’s website. If possible, telephone and email address details, where applicable, should also be recorded for each player. Each team playing in the Thornbury & District Skittles League must keep their player database records on the website up to date at all times.
16. A new player may be registered on the Registration Sheet before a game commences. The final date for registration in any Season is 28th February. In exceptional circumstances the Management Committee may exercise discretion.
17. No player(s) already registered for a team in this League shall be allowed to compete for any other team also playing in this League unless he/she shall have been transferred to that team. A player may be transferred before 28th February in any season by one team to another but 7 days notice must be given in writing or by e-mail to the Fixture Secretary before such transfer can be accepted and the player able to play for the other team.
18. No alteration to the Fixture List shall be allowed except in the case of
(a) A fixture having been scheduled over a Bank Holiday date OR
(b) By mutual agreement by both teams to re-schedule a game in compliance with the following:-
A postponed game from the first part of the season must be played before the second half of the season begins and any postponed game during the second half of the season must be played within fourteen days of the close of the season. Details of all re-arranged games must be advised to the Fixture Secretary of the League by both teams within fourteen days of the date the game was originally scheduled.
19. Any team that postpones 6 or more League fixtures during the playing season will have 2 points deducted from their total points and in addition, a fine of £15 will be imposed.
20. In the event of a game being cancelled, the team cancelling the game must notify the Fixture Secretary and the opposing team’s Secretary by telephone at least 48 hours before the date that the match is to be cancelled. In addition, BOTH TEAMS must record the point’s allocation on the Results Submission Section of the League's website within 48 hours of the cancellation date. Any team cancelling a match shall be deemed to forfeit the game and to concede all points to their opponents.
21. Any team failing to turn up for a game unless due to inclement weather conditions i.e. Snow, Floods etc. shall forfeit the game and have 2 points deducted and a fine of £5 imposed. 2 points will be awarded to the opposition. If the HOME team fails to show then the AWAY team will be awarded their average away pins at the end of the season. Defaulting teams will be responsible for Sticker-up Fees and Alley Fees.
22. Games should be played between teams of no more than six players per team playing 6 hands of 3 balls. 2 points will be awarded for a win and 1 point for a draw.
23. All games must commence at 8.30pm unless by prior arrangement. Games not in progress by 9.00 pm will be referred to the League Committee. Defaulting teams will be fined £5.
24. That the Home Team shall be responsible for Sticker-Up fees and alley fees apart from in Cup Competitions when Sticker-Up fees are to be shared.
25. No player taking part in a game shall be allowed to practice on the alley prior to the game starting. If, due to fixture congestion, it is necessary to play more than one game on the same night, this must be by mutual agreement of the Captains of all teams concerned. This agreement must be obtained prior to the night of the match.
26. Any player(s) arriving late on the alley after the last pair has started shall not be allowed to take any part in the game.
27. That both teams shall play with the balls supplied by the home team. Only three balls to be in the chute at any one time. Balls must be of either Laminate or Composite material or of Wooden Variety. Mixed Sets of balls are not allowed and no other types of ball will be permitted.
28. Players must have both feet behind the line furthest from the pins at the time the ball is delivered. Where a second line exists approx 6 feet nearer the pins, then the ball must pitch on the alley before it reaches that line.
29. In the event of any team playing an ineligible player, the score will be deducted from the score entered on the website and a £5 fine imposed.
30. Any pin that is knocked through the horizontal plane by either a ball or another pin during a match and which rights itself on the diamond shall be deemed to be dead and must be removed from the diamond before any other ball is bowled.
(a) Any pin knocked down by another pin rebounding off the side of the alley shall be deemed as scored.
(b) If a ball rebounds off the side of the alley after first striking a pin in the frame and knocks down pins, the pins shall be deemed as scored.
(c) If a pin is knocked down by a ball or another pin rebounding off the rear wall of the alley, the pin(s) shall be deemed as not scored and shall be replaced in their original position on the diamond.
31. BOTH teams shall be responsible for posting their results on the League’s website within 48 hours of the completion of any game. Failure to comply will result in a £10 fine.
32. No team shall be permitted to change their home alley or night of play during the playing season unless prior permission has been sought from the League’s Fixture Secretary either in writing or by email. It will be the Fixture Secretary’s responsibility to then notify all teams within the relevant Division of any changes agreed. Permission will normally only be granted in exceptional circumstances.
The Fixture Secretary must also be immediately notified of any changes to team contact details i.e. Changes of address, telephone numbers and email addresses. Failure to comply will result in a £5-00 fine being levied.
33. In the event of any team resigning from the League during the playing season, for whatever reason, then the record of that team will be expunged.
34. Any team not completing their full fixture program due to matches being cancelled shall be fined £10 for each match not played unless otherwise agreed by the League’s Committee.
35. Should two or more teams finish the season tied on points at the top or bottom of any Division, the points gained between the teams concerned in home and away fixtures will decide the placing. If still equal, then the aggregate pins floored between the teams concerned will decide the placing.
36. All fines shall be issued to teams on a monthly basis. Fines must be paid within 21 days of the date of issue failing which further fines will be imposed.
37. Failure to pay any fine on time will result in a further £10 fine being incurred for each fine levied.
38. Any team or individual not represented to collect their award(s) at the Annual Presentation event will forfeit the money and the full cash sum will be credited to the League’s Fund.
39. That the foregoing rules may be altered, amended, deleted or added to by a vote of a Special General Meeting called for that purpose, or at the Annual General Meeting, voting to be on the basis of one vote per team. Any proposed alteration to these rules shall be in the hands of the General Secretary at least 14 days before such meetings.
The League Committee will enforce all rules and their decision in any matter not covered by the rules will be both at their discretion and binding.
(With the exception of Rule 2, the following Rules shall apply to all Competitions)
1. Teams from all five Divisions will play in the Front-Pin-First and All-In Cup Competitions.
2. All matches to be drawn and all byes to be made in the preliminary round. The first named team will be the home team. In the event of a match being tied, the result shall be decided on the same night by the same six players from each team that played that night having a further 3 balls each. If after the play-off the scores are still tied, then the same six players shall have a further 3 balls each until a result is achieved. (No postponements shall be allowed).
3. (N.B. This Rule also applies to Division 1 & 2). That the Front-Pin must be knocked down by a ball before any score can count. If the Front pin is knocked over by another pin, the Front pin alone shall be reset without score but any other pins shall remain floored. If the Front pin is struck over by a ball but then re-stands, it shall deemed to have been floored and all pins floored by that ball will count and stay down. If any player should strike a pin or pins other than the Front-Pin and then afterwards clear the frame by striking the Front-pin, thus making a spare, then the pins knocked down by the second ball shall be reset and any pins then knocked over by the third ball shall count.
4. That an Umpire shall be appointed for the Semi-Finals and Final by the League’s Committee and that Umpire shall take any position on the alley he or she may deem necessary. Each player must pay a £1 Sticker-Up fee to the Umpire in charge.
5. Semi-Finals and Final matches shall be played on the Black Horse, Thornbury, using balls and pins supplied by the League.
6. Notice of at least 7 days is required of an inability to produce a full team for either a Semi-Final of Final of a Cup Competition to allow the previous losing team to be reinstated to the competition. Any team that fails to give this notice and not provide a full team will incur a £30 fine.
7. The Home team to be responsible for posting the result on the League’s website within 48 hours of the completion of the game. Failure to comply will result in a £10 fine.
8. The above rule can be changed in accordance with League Rule 39.
1. That all players entering the competition shall be registered with the League.
2. Each pair to pay a £2.50 Entry Fee payable with their Entry Form.
3. That Umpires be appointed for the whole of the competition.
4. The draw to be made with at least three League Committee Members present and all Team Secretaries to be subsequently then notified of the dates and venues of matches.
5. All players to be on the alley 5 minutes before the time appointed by the Pairs Secretary.
6. All players must report to the Umpire immediately they arrive on the alley.
7. Any player(s) not appearing on the decided date and time shall forfeit the match. Any pair defaulting on the night shall be fined £5 per pair through their team. The pair affected by the default must be in attendance on the night of play.
8. Substitute(s) will be allowed up to the first match. The Umpire in charge of the Competition shall be notified upon arrival.
9. In the event of a tie, one up extra will be played by each pair until a result is decided.
10. The above rule can be changed in accordance with League Rule 39.